CINCINNATI (FOX19) - With only a couple days break before heading back into steamy temperatures, the Avondale-based Civic Garden Center asked their Horticulturist, Paul Koloszar for his top ten ideas to save your plants.
1. Keep the gardener hydrated and cool!
2. Avoid overhead watering when possible- the high humidity already favors development of foliar diseases (problems with the leaves).
3. Watering deeply will mean watering less frequently.
4. Be sure to water the trees! This means watering any area under the canopy of the tree, not just next to the trunk.
5. Don't fret over watering plants like Hydrangea unless they are in wilt before they endure their daily exposure to the sun, or if they do not recover from wilt within a couple of hours after being in shade again.
6. Container plantings should be checked daily, especially those in the sun. You may find yourself needing to water them much more often than in the past.